Under the 1839 Cherokee constitution, Cherokee Nation, I.T.  was to be divided into eight (8) districts for governance and elections to wit:

1.      Going Snake District: Commencing on Caney Creek at Fawn's Camp on the right, and following the path leading to Thos. F. Taylor's  until the same forks on the mountain; thence along the right hand old path(leaving said Taylor's to the left) to Dick Sanders' on the barren Fork; thence along the road to James M'Daniel's on Big Illinois; thence along the road or path leading to the Grand Saline, to Spring Creek; thence up said Creek to the crossing of the Washington Countywagon road, at Gore's old cabin, following said road to Flint Creek, then up said creek to the State line; thence south along said line to the Flint District, and along the same to the place of beginning.
First Precinct at Hair Conrad's: Hair CONRAD and Samuel FOREMAN, superintendents.
Second Precinct at Rising Fawn's (in Piney Woods) : George STARR, Jon HARNAGE, superintendents.

2.      Skin Bayou District

3.      Illinois District

4.      Flint District

5.      Saline District

6.      Tahlequah District

7.      Delaware District

8.      Canadian District

Tribal Chief Goingsnake

Goingsnake I-na-du-na-i, or in English, Going Snake was born approximately 1758 near the present Tennessee/North Carolina boundary that meets Notteley Reservoir, Georgia. He was known to be a great orator and political leader. He was a tribal town Chief.

In 1814, he was among the seven hundred Cherokees who fought against the
Creeks with General Andrew Jackson at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend, along
with John Ross, Sequoyah, White Path and others.

He returned to his home, "Going Snake's Town." A Cherokee community, at that time and still today, is comprised of citizens living in homes scattered over a wider area.

In 1808, the Cherokee Nation back east was divided into eight districts.
Going Snake was a representative from Amohee District and received one dollar per day while serving on the National Council. At the time, Pathkiller was the Chief, and a young man named John Ross was President of the National Committee. In 1827, Ross was elected Chief and Going Snake was elected Speaker of the Council.

When the Cherokees began their forced Removal, known as the Trail of Tears, Going Snake came with the group headed by John Benge, which left on September 28, 1838.

In early January of 1839, Going Snake arrived on Ward Branch in Indian
Territory, just a few miles southwest of Cincinnati, Arkansas and about six
miles north of present Westville. It was here he built his cabin.

One of his last duties was to meet at the general convention between the
eastern and western Cherokee on the Illinois River in Tahlequah on July 12,
1839. By November, a new Speaker had been elected. The following year,
districts were divided and named in the new Cherokee Nation, and one was
named for Going Snake. When he died, he was buried in front of his cabin.